East Horsley is a village and civil parish in the Guildford District of Surrey. The settlement is partly on the A246 road between Leatherhead and Guildford and most development is concentrated around the junction of two long roads directly north of this road. The nearest railway stations are on the New Guildford Line in the parish (connected to London Waterloo). East Horseley and West Horseley share a commercial area and also have substantial woodland and some chalky lower slopes, in the south, in the North Downs.
In 1792 an Inclosure Act enabled William Currie MP (1756-1829) to inclose most of Horsley Common at the northern end of the parish and the common fields and waste at the southern part, very much on the chalk. The parsonage and glebe were, at the same time, moved within the parish.
The village is the site of Horsley Park, a gothic mansion designed by Sir Charles Barry (later the architect of the Houses of Parliament) for Currie in place of an earlier building. William Currie, a distiller and banker, had bought the property in 1784 and over the next 44 years made extensive changes to the village including rebuilding most of the houses in the village, establishing the school and restoring the church. After William Currie's death in 1829 the property was acquired by the 1st Earl of Lovelace (1805-1893). It was the marital home of Ada, Lady Lovelace (the poet Lord Byron's daughter) and later Sir Thomas Sopwith, aviation pioneer (1888-1989). In 1971 it was used as a (Defence) Staff Training College and was placed in the second category of the English Heritage scheme of architecture as a Grade II* listed building.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes: