The name 'East Hardwick' has its origins in Old English. The 'East' distinguishes it from West Hardwick, and 'Hardwick' comes from the Old English phrase heorde-wīc, meaning a herd farm or a farm for livestock. The village was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Harduic.
There is also a small church: St Stephen's. There is no village shop or post office.