East Ferry is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 6 miles (10 km) west from Scotter, and on the eastern bank of the River Trent opposite Owston Ferry.
There is a tidal bore on this stretch of the Trent.
East Ferry was founded in the 13th century around a ferry crossing; the ferry ran until the 1940s. Previously it was also known as East Kinnard's Ferry, and was part of the Corringham Wapentake. A medieval chapel in the village, dedicated to St. Laurence, is described as decayed in the 16th century, but survived into the late 18th century. There were a further two chapels: one Anglican dedicated to St. Mary (rebuilt about 1800), the other for Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of East Ferry from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Until 1936 the parish of East Ferry was not much more than the settlement around the ferry jetty. There was 1,800 acres between the ferry and the parish of Scotton to the east and known as "Lands Common to Scotton and East Ferry". In 1936 this land was absorbed into the civil parish of East Ferry. (Source: Lincolnshire Ordnance Survey Map of 1900)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.