- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
East Cottingwith is a village and former civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies on the former Derwent Navigation (canal), and lies some 9 miles (14 km) north-west of the market town of Howden and 7 miles (11 km) south-west of the town of Pocklington. It lies 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the B1228 road and just east of the River Derwent. According to the 2011 UK census, East Cottingwith parish had a population of 349, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 290.
The civil parish of Cottingwith was formed from the village of East Cottingwith and the hamlet of Storwood in 1935. It was part of Pocklington Rural District.
Historically, East Cottingwith was in the ecclesiastical parish of Aughton (near Bubwith) in the wapentake of Harthill.
- GENUKI on East Cottingwith. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Aughton provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on East Cottingwith.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.