Place:Boldon, Durham, England

Alt namesThe Boldonssource: alternate name
East Boldonsource: village in parish
West Boldonsource: village in parish
Boldon Collierysource: village in parish
Boldon New Townsource: village in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish, Urban district
Coordinates54.946°N 1.446°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoChester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Boldon Colliery, Durham, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1936
Monkton, Durham, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1936
Whitburn, Durham, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1936
South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Boldon or The Boldons are a group of three small villages in the northeast of England - East Boldon, West Boldon and Boldon Colliery - bordered on the south by Sunderland, on the west by Felling (and Newcastle beyond) and on the north by South Shields and Jarrow. They had a population of 13,271 in the UK census of 2001.

'Boldun' was first recorded in print in 1170, and evolved from the words "Bold" or "Botl" meaning a building and "dun" meaning a hill.

In 1866 work began sinking a pit at the foot of the hill that began producing coal in 1869, and was then known as Boldon New Winning. The village that developed nearby in the 1870s became known as Boldon Colliery. When the mine was deepened and extended in the 1910s, further housing to accommodate the workforce was built to the south of the pit in an area known as Boldon New Town.

In 1936 Boldon was enlarged in area by the abolition of Boldon Colliery, Monkton and Whitburn parishes and reduced by the transfer of acreage to South Shields.

Until 1974 the area was administered by Boldon Urban District Council in County Durham but since then has been part of the borough of South Tyneside in Tyne and Wear.

A late 19th century description

From Genuki

"This ancient parish is bounded on the north-west by Hedworth, on the north by Simonside in South Shields, on the east by Whitburn, on the south by Castle Town, Southwick, and Washington, and on the south-west by Washington parish. The parish contains the townships of East and West Boldon, with villages of the same name, and has an area of 4031 acres. In 1882 a part of this parish was taken to form part of the new parish of Hedworth.
"The townships of East Boldon and West Boldon are returned together for civil purposes, having a united area of 4805 acres and ratable value of £29,499.
"The village of East Boldon is very pleasantly situated on the Sunderland and Newcastle road, about four miles north-west from the former. Here are many villa residences and attractive terraces, and the district has of late years become very popular as a place of residence for the merchants and tradesmen of Sunderland and Shields.
"West Boldon Village - This is the ancient village, and maintains much of its rural aspect, being overlooked by the venerable and picturesque old church. The older portion of the village occupies a rocky eminence, commanding a fine prospect on all sides, and is remarkable for its salubrity."

[Quoted from History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at The Boldons. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.