Place:Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameEarsdon (near North Shields)
Alt namesEarsdonsource: alternate name
TypeTownship, Civil parish, Urban district
Coordinates55.046°N 1.495°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoNorth Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it is a part since 1974
Seaton Valley, Northumberland, Englandurban district into which it was part transferred in 1935
Tynemouth, Northumberland, Englandurban district into which it was part transferred in 1935
Whitley Bay, Northumberland, Englandurban district into which it was part transferred in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is another place named Earsdon (near Morpeth) in Northumberland. They should not be confused.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Earsdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EARSDON, a township, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district in Tynemouth [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, and on the North Shields and Blyth railway, 4 miles NNW of North Shields; and has a post office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 1,769; of which 978 are water. Population: 577. Houses: 152.
"The parish contains also the townships of Seghill, Burradon, Backworth, Holywell, Hartley, Seaton Delaval, and South Blyth, and the lordship of Newsham; and it has railway stations for Hartley, Seaton-Delaval, Seghill, Newsham, and Blyth. Acres: 11, 646. Real property: £71, 375; of which £47,900 are in mines, £150 in quarries, £40 in fisheries, and £399 in gas-works. Population: 12,444. Houses: 2,475. Two fearful colliery accidents occurred in this parish; the one in Burradon, in the beginning of 1860, with a loss of nearly 80 lives; the other in Hartley, in the beginning of 1862, with a loss of upwards of 200. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £119. Patrons: the Proprietors of Land. The ancient church belonged, from the 11th century, to Tynemouth priory; and a new church, an elegant structure on an eminence, with a conspicuous and imposing tower, was built in 1837. The [perpetual] curacies of Seghill and Seaton-Delaval, and the donative of Blyth, are separate benefices. There are several dissenting chapels.
"The [registration] sub-district is less [smaller] than the parish by South Blyth and Newsham. Acres: 10,466. Population: 9,543. Houses: 1,960.

The townships listed by Wilson are all to be found here in WeRelate.

Earsdon was abolished as an urban district in 1935 and its component parts redistributed among the urban districts of Seaton Valley, Tynemouth and Whitley Bay. Parts of the original township of Earsdon were absorbed by each of the urban districts. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

Research Tips