Place:Earsdon (near Morpeth), Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameEarsdon (near Morpeth)
Alt namesEarsdon Forestsource: part of same locality
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.235°N 1.703°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoBothal, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Tritlington, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is another place named Earsdon (near North Shields) in Northumberland. They should not be confused.


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Earsdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EARSDON-FOREST, a township in Hebburn [Hebron] parish, Northumberland; on the river Wansbeck, adjacent to the Wansbeck railway, 6 miles W of Morpeth. Acres: 744. Population: 24. Houses: 4."

Earsdon was probably a village or hamlet in the township of Earsdon Forest. Both were located in the parochial chapelry and civil parish of Hebron (also known as Hebburn) within the ancient parish of Bothal. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area transferred to Tritlington civil parish.

The co-ordinates for a place named Earsdon Moor on Google Earth have been used here.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.