Place:Eachwick, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameEachwick
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.037°N 1.818°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoHeddon on the Wall, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Stamfordham, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eachwick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EACHWICK, a township in Heddon-on-the-Wall parish, Northumberland; on the river Pont, 9½ miles WNW of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 985. Population: 87. Houses: 19. It anciently bore the name of Achewic; was given, in 1140, by Robert Delavel, to Hexham abbey; and passed, through the Fenwicks and others, to the Spearmans.

Eachwick was originally a township in the ancient parish of Heddon on the Wall. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but since 1955 has been part of the civil parish of Stamfordham.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.