Durlach was bestowed by emperor Frederick II on the margrave Hermann V of Zähringen as an allodial possession, but afterwards came into the hands of Rudolph of Habsburg.
Margrave Charles III William decided that he needed more space which led to the foundation of Karlsruhe in 1715, which three years later became the new capital until the state was merged into the grand-duchy of Baden.
In 1846 it was the seat of a congress of the Liberal party of the Baden parliament. In 1849 it was the scene of an encounter between the Prussians and the insurgents.
In 1938 Durlach was incorporated into Karlsruhe, which had grown bigger, with which it is connected by a canal and an avenue of poplars, on the left bank of the Pfinz, at the foot of the Turmberg.
329 people were killed in Durlach during the Second World War.