|Alt names||Otefort||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 149|
|Dunton Green||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Shoreham, Kent, England||ancient parish of which it was a chapelry|
|Codsheath Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Sevenoaks Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Sevenoaks District, Kent, England||district municipality which has covered the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Otford is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks District of Kent, England. It is located north of the town of Sevenoaks and is on the River Darent. The river flows northwards, down its valley from its source in the North Downs.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Otford was a civil parish in Sevenoaks Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and originally was a chapelry of the ancient parish of Shoreham in the Codsheath Hundred. it had a population of just over 3,500 at the time of the 2001 UK census.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Otford.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Otford, Kent, England | Shoreham, Kent, England | Codsheath Hundred, Kent, England | Sevenoaks Rural, Kent, England | Sevenoaks District, Kent, England