Dunleer town is situated midway between Dundalk and Drogheda. It was the principal Town Borough in the Barony of Ferrard. It has a Charter dating back to 1252. Situated on the White River, it is the junction of several roads that intersect the town, including the R132 (old N1), R169 and R170 regional roads.
Located upstream is the White River Mill, which is a 17th-century flour mill, which is open at times to visitors. The White River Mill pond is located on the confluence of the White River and Ba Be Stream. The town has its origins in the early Sixth Century Christian monastery of Lann Leire. The Monastery and its town were the subject of periodic raids by groups of plunderers between the seventh and twelfth centuries. In the sixteenth century the manor of Dunleer was granted to John Barnewall, 3rd Baron Trimlestown. Rathescar Lakeside walk and woodland ecological area is located a short distance from the town. This is a local amenity that is well liked in the locality and beyond for its outstanding natural beauty.
Located adjacent to the M1 motorway to its west, there is excellent access to and from the M1, as Dunleer is served by no fewer than three motorway interchanges (M1 Junctions 12, 13 and 14) and is bisected by the main Dublin-Belfast railway line. These linkages played a part in Dunleer changing from a mainly rural town to an expanding commuter town for those working primarily in Dublin, Drogheda and Dundalk. This change in demographic use has also contributed to Dunleer becoming a main hub in the Mid-Louth Area of County Louth.