- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Dumbleton is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire, England. The village is roughly 20 miles from the city of Gloucester and is in the Tewkesbury (district). The village is known to have existed in the time of Ethelred I who granted land to Abingdon Abbey, and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
Dumbleton is very close to the county border with Worcestershire where the parish of Overbury was situated with lands in both counties. In 1935 the hamlet of Little Washbourne on the Gloucestershire side was separated from the rest of the parish and transferred to Dumbleton parish. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dumbleton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DUMBLETON, a parish in Winchcomb [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Isburn, 4¼ miles N by W of Winchcomb, and 6 S by W of Evesham [railway] station. It has a post office under Evesham. Acres: 2,100. Real property: £4,216. Population: 465. Houses: 93. Dumbleton House is the seat of E. Holland, Esq. The parish contains a mineral spring; and is a meet for the Berkeley-Hunt hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £354. Patron: E. Holland, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £50."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Dumbleton, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England