|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England (1844 - )|
|Also located in||Durham, England ( - 1844)|
|See also||Norhamshire, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Grindon, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Duddo in 1955|
|Felkington, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Duddo in 1955|
|Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Duddo is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, about 8 miles (13 km) southwest of Berwick on Tweed.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Duddo from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DUDDO, a township and a chapelry in Norham parish, Northumberland. The township lies 3 miles SSW of Norham [railway] station. Acres: 1,651. Population: 311. Houses: 56.
- "Grindon-Rigg here was the scene of a victory by the English over the Scots in 1558; and it has some memorials of the battle, and a small Druidical circle and a barrow. The chapelry was constituted in 1866. Population: about 1,000. The living is a vicarage. Value: £340. The church is good."
Duddo was a township in the parish of Norhamshire within the county of Durham until 1844, subsequently in Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the parishes of Grindon and Felkington. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Duddo became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Grindon Rigg or Grindon Ridge mentioned in Wilson's Gazetteer was absorbed into Duddo in 1878. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.