NOTE: Dry Doddington and Doddington are two separate places 15 miles apart in Lincolnshire.
Dry Doddington is a small village in the northwest of the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8 km) south-east from Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire, approximately 8 miles (13 km) north-west from Grantham, and just over 1 mile (2 km) to the east of the A1 road.
Today, the village forms part of the civil parish of Westborough and Dry Doddington, which had a population of 335 in 2001. Before 1931 Dry Doddington was a separate parish. However, from the titles of parish records it would appear that the two villages were ecclesiastically combined for centuries.
The village, on a small hill called Lincoln Hill, is surrounded by the River Witham to the west and south. The village of Claypole is to the north and Westborough and Long Bennington 1 mile (1.6 km) to the south.
The parish church, dedicated to St James, is a Grade II* listed building dating from the 12th century. It was restored in 1876. The early 14th-century tower leans to the west. Recent restoration workhas brought it back to its former glory. The tower boasts an impressive tilt of 5.1 degrees, which is more than the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.