|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Warwickshire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1931|
|Stratford-upon-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1931-1974|
|Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Dorsington is a civil parish in the Stratford-on-Avon District, in the county of Warwickshire, England. Dorsington was in Gloucestershire until it was transferred to Warwickshire in 1931. It is located 2¾ miles west of Milcote railway station. Dorsington was recorded in the Domesday Book as Dorsitone or Dorsintune. In 2001 it had a population of 138 living in 49 houses.
The parish of Dorsington, which had been part of Marston Sicca Rural District since 1894, was transferred to Warwickshire in 1931 along with the other parishes in the rural district. A further explanation will be found under Marston Sicca Rural District where a map of the area is included.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI Gloucestershire and GENUKI Warwickshire give pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the individual counties. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire and The FamilySearch Wiki for Warwickshireprovides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of Gloucestershire. However, there is a series of 7 volumes for Warwickshire.
- Comparing a map of Gloucestershire parishes in 1900 with a map of Gloucestershire parishes made in the 1943 helps to illustrate how the county borders changed through this period.
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Warwickshire, England | Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England | Dorsington, Gloucestershire, England | Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stratford-on-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England