Dorney is a village and civil parish in the South Bucks District of Buckinghamshire, England, bordering on the River Thames to the west and south and now bisected by the Jubilee River, built around 2000 to reduce the threat of flooding on this part of the Thames. In 2011 it had a population of 752. It is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) west of the slightly larger parish of Eton Wick.
The ownership of the manor is summarised in its own article, but perhaps the most notable head of family was William Garrard, afterwards Lord Mayor of London, who bought the house in 1542. From 1624 until 1925 it was owned by a family named Palmer, the last owner being Major C. H. D. Palmer. Until after that date, the manor's family also owned the rectory and improved and maintained the church.
Dorney is reputed to be the first place where a pineapple was grown in the United Kingdom. A local public house is named The Pineapple. It is Grade II listed for its age, dating half to the 17th century and half to the 18th century.
In the parish of Dorney are the hamlets of Dorney Reach and Lake End, both within a mile of the centre of Dorney itself. The parish of Boveney was part of Dorney until it became a civil parish in its own right in 1866.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References