Dollard-des-Ormeaux (often referred to as D.D.O. or simply Dollard) is a predominantly English-speaking on-island suburb on the Island of Montreal in southwestern Quebec, Canada. The town was named after French martyr Adam Dollard des Ormeaux.
The town was merged with the city of Montreal for several years, but its residents elected to reinstate the city as its own separate entity in 2006.
In 2001, the official Commission de toponymie du Québec ruled that the correct way to write the city's name was Dollard-Des Ormeaux (one hyphen, one space, all title caps). However, this was not widely accepted and is rarely used in practice. In particular, , the city's own website does not use this way of writing the city's name.
In 1714, the territory that would later become Dollard-des-Ormeaux was part of the Parish of St-Joachim de Pointe-Claire. It became part of the Parish of Ste-Geneviève when it detached from Pointe-Claire in 1845.
On July 29, 1924, Dollard-des-Ormeaux detached from the Parish of Ste-Geneviève and became its own municipality after the Parish's decision to impose a tax for road improvements on Gouin Boulevard. Dollard-des-Ormeaux became its own entity, and its first mayor Hormidas Meloche was elected.
The City of Dollard-des-Ormeaux obtained a new charter and was incorporated as a city on February 4, 1960.
Dollard-des-Ormeaux was originally a bedroom community in the early 1960s. In 1961, there was a total of 1,800 residents. Ten years later the population had grown to 25,000.
One of its original main axes, Anselme-Lavigne Street in the Westpark neighbourhood, is named for a farmer who sold his land to the Belcourt Construction Company. Many of the streets in the Sunnydale neighbourhood, including "Sunshine" and "Hyman", are named for members in the prominent Zunenshine family who owned Belcourt. Although mainly residential, Dollard-des-Ormeaux has many commercial zones. Des Sources and St-Jean Boulevards are its main commercial arteries.
The Town Hall housed all city services in an old home on Des Sources Boulevard in the early 1960s. In 1964, City Hall moved into an old French-Canadian farmhouse built in 1806.
During Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967, the town decided to create a "Centennial Park," featuring a man-made lake and hills. It was suggested to use this project for a reservoir for stormwater drainage, as the City was faced with the need to expand surface drainage pipes. However the project ran into problems and became a local scandal and a major drain on resources. It was finally completed in the 1970s, albeit overdue and overbudget.
Dollard-des-Ormeaux joined the Montreal Urban Community in 1970.
On January 1, 2002, as part of the 2002–2006 municipal reorganization of Montreal, it merged with the city of Montreal and became part of the Dollard-Des Ormeaux–Roxboro borough. After a change of government and a 2004 demerger referendum, Dollard-des-Ormeaux was reconstituted as an independent city on January 1, 2006. It is now the Montreal Island's most populous city outside Montreal.
Dollard-des-Ormeaux is home to many family oriented facilities such as sports complexes, recreational parks and the Dollard Civic Centre, where people gather for sporting and social events.