|Type||Chapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Chatton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a chapelry|
|Glendale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Earle, Northumberland, England||parish which originally a township in Doddington|
|Ewart, Northumberland, England||parish which originally a township in Doddington|
|Humbleton, Northumberland, England||parish which originally a township in Doddington|
|Nesbit (near Wooler), Northumberland, England||parish which originally a township in Doddington and which was absorbed into Doddington in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
The village and parish of Doddington is situated on the south side of the Milfield Plain, approximately 2 miles from the town of Wooler in the county of Northumberland. Notable buildings in Doddington include Doddington Hall, and the Anglican Church of St Mary and St Michael, which was built in the 18th century on the site of an original 12th Century place of worship. Its population, according to the 2011 UK census, was 195.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Doddington.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Doddington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DODDINGTON, a township and a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies near the river Till, 3¼ miles N of Wooler, and 8½ SW of Beal [railway] station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres: 4,798. Population: 381. Houses: 74.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Nesbit, Ewart, Humbleton, and Earl. Acres: 9,110. Real property: £10,182. Population: 795. Houses: 158. The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: 360. Patron: the Duke of Northumberland. The church is early English, and good."
Doddington was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Chatton, Northumberland. It became a separate ancient parish in 1785 and a civil parish after 1837. It included the townships of Nesbit (near Wooler), Ewart, Humbleton, and Earle. It was enlarged by the abolition of Nesbit parish in 1955.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.