|Name||Dodcott cum Wilkesley|
|Alt names||Burleydam||source: village in parish|
|Butterley Heyes||source: hamlet in parish|
|Cheshire Fields||source: hamlet in parish|
|Combermere||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lightwood Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Royal's Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Pinsley Green||source: hamlet in parish (until 1990)|
|Smeaton Wood||source: hamlet in parish (until 1990)|
|Wilkesley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Audlem, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Dodcott cum Wilkesley is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The hamlet of Wilkesley lies 2½ miles to the west of Audlem and 7 miles to the southwest of Nantwich. The parish's largest settlement is the village of Burleydam. It also includes the small settlements of Butterley Heyes, Cheshire Fields, Combermere, Lightwood Green and Royal's Green. It also formerly contained the settlements of Pinsley Green and Smeaton Wood which were transferred to Wrenbury cum Frith civil parish in 1990. Nearby villages include Audlem, Newhall (near Nantwich) and Wrenbury. Adderley and Calverhall are just over the border in Shropshire.
The park of Combermere Abbey forms much of the area of the civil parish. Combermere Abbey is a former Cistercian monastery which was founded in 1133 and is listed at grade I. Its park includes the large lake of Comber Mere and several areas of mixed woodland.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Dodcott cum Wilkesley was a township partly in Audlem ancient parish and partly in Wrenbury within Nantwich Hundred. It became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish churches for the township of Dodcott cum Wilkesley were St. James the Great in Audlem (the larger part--3937 acres) and St. Margaret's in Wrenbury (the smaller part--1866 acres).
St. Mary the Virgin and St. Michael Church was founded in 1735 in Burleydam as a chapel of ease to St. Margaret't in Wrenbury. It became a district church for part of Dodcott cum Wilkesley from 1869.
The population was 755 in 1801, 631 in 1851, 626 in 1901, 451 in 1951 and 380 in 2001.
Neither source explains the origin of the "Dodcott" part of the name of the parish.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Dodcott cum Wilkesley, Cheshire, England | Audlem, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England