Dixon is a city in northern Solano County, California, United States, located from the state capital, Sacramento. The population was 18,351 at the 2010 census. Other nearby cities include Vacaville, Winters and Davis.
The first semi-permanent European settlement in the (now) Dixon area developed during the California Gold Rush of the mid 19th century. In 1852, the community of Silveyville was founded as a half-way point for lodging and relaxation between the Pacific Coast and the rich gold fields of Sacramento-- on a route commonly traveled by miners. By the time the Vaca Valley railroad was to inaugurate its Solano County extension in 1870, local leaders decided to physically relocate their growing community closer to the tracks (a few miles away) in order to enjoy the benefits of commerce and travel. One of the first buildings that still stands in Dixon from the 1871 move is the Dixon Methodist Church located at 209 N. Jefferson Street.
Originally, the city was named "Dicksonville" after Thomas Dickson who at the time donated 10 acres of his land for the construction of a railroad depot following the completion of the tracks and relocation of Silveyville to the now-Dixon area. However when the first rail shipment of merchandise arrived from San Francisco in 1872, it was mistakenly addressed to "Dixon"-- a name that has been used since, mainly out of simplicity. Up to now, the urban landscape of the town can be seen to have developed in an outward trajectory from the railroad tracks although trains no longer stop in Dixon.
Dixon is also the home of the Gymboree Corporation's only Distribution Center, servicing all stores and customers around the world.