Place:Diocese of St. Andrews (Roman Catholic), Scotland

Watchers


NameDiocese of St. Andrews (Roman Catholic)
TypeDiocese
Located inScotland
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The Diocese or Archdiocese of St Andrews was a territorial episcopal jurisdiction in early modern and medieval Scotland. It was the largest, most populous and wealthiest diocese of the medieval Scottish church, with territory in eastern Scotland stretching from Berwickshire and the Anglo-Scottish border to Aberdeenshire.

Although not an archdiocese until 1472, St Andrews was recognised as the chief see of the Scottish church from at least the 11th century. It came to be one of two archdioceses of the Scottish church, from the early 16th century having the bishoprics of Aberdeen, Brechin, Caithness, Dunblane, Dunkeld, Moray, Orkney and Ross as suffragans.

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Archdiocese of St Andrews.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Archdiocese of St Andrews. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.