The Town of Dickinson is on the western border of the county and is southwest of the Village of Malone.
The name originally proposed for the area was "Annastown," after the daughter of a landowner, but another influential landowner prevailed with the current name.
The Town of Dickinson was formed from the Town of Malone in the year 1809. In 1812, part of Dickinson was used to form the Town of Bangor. The creation of the Town of Moira in 1828 cost Dickinson more territory. When the Town of Waverly was established in 1880, additional territory was lost.
In 1843, conversions to the Mormon religion and migration westward occurred in the town due to relatives of a Mormon Apostle living there.