- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another Denton near Gravesend in Kent.
Denton is a village near Canterbury in Kent, England. Denton was a civil parish in Dover Rural District from 1894 until 1963 when it merged with the neighbouring parish of Wootton to become Denton with Wootton. Since 1974 the area has been part of the Dover non-metropolitan District.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Denton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DENTON, a parish in Dover [registration] district, Kent; under Barham Down, 3½ miles SW of Shepherd's Well [Shepherdswell] [railway] station, and 7½ NW by W of Dover. Post town, Wooton, under Canterbury. Acres: 1,062. Real property: £1,221. Population: 183. Houses: 33. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Eardes; and passed to the Peytons, the Boyses, the Whorwoods, the Markhams, and others. Denton Court, a Tudor mansion, was the seat of Sir E. Brydges, and a visiting residence of the poet Gray. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £169. Patron: the Rev. G. La Motte. The church is early English."