The Manor of Denton was held in Saxon times by Earl Godwin, Father of King Harold. It seems likely that Denton was destroyed during the Saxon rebellion of 1068. It does not appear in the Doomsday book of 1086.
Denton's church, St. Leonard's, was first built around 1288, later extended and carefully restored during the Decorated Period. The walls are of flint and stone and the Vestry was added during the 20th Century. The remains of what is thought to have been a Priest's House in the west end of the churchyard, dating from about 1280, have recently been partly restored. The village has a junior school and one pub, the "Flying Fish" (originally named the "Kicking Donkey") which dates back to the 18th Century.
There is also a man-made island called Denton Island, in the middle of Newhaven Harbour, which featured a Toll Bridge which the residents of Denton village were exempt from paying.