Denton is a village and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (5 km) both south-west from the market town of Grantham, west from the A1 road and north of the A607 road between Grantham and Melton Mowbray. Nearby villages include Harlaxton, Barrowby and Woolsthorpe. Denton is 3 miles east from Belvoir Castle. The civil parish covers approximately 2,600 acres (11 km2).
Denton Grade I listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Andrew. Restored in 1888, it is mainly Perpendicular in style. In the south aisle is a table-tomb with an effigy of John Blyth, his wife Margaret and his six children; a monument to Richard Welby (d. 1713) is in the north aisle.
Denton Manor house is a Grade II listed 17th-century house standing in Denton Park. It is constructed of coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar quoins and Collyweston diminishing coursed slate roof in two storeys to an L-shaped plan with a 5 bay frontage. It was built by Marshall Sisson for Sir Bruno Welby, with extensive alterations and additions in 1953 and 1965.
Another larger house, generally known as Denton Hall, was rebuilt by the Welby family in 1879 on the site of an earlier house to the designs of architect Sir Arthur Blomfield, was restored after a fire in 1906 but demolished in 1940. At one time it was owned by Sir William Welby-Gregory, 4th Baronet (1829-1898), MP [member of parliament] for Grantham and South Lincolnshire and his well-known wife Victoria, Lady Welby, the philosopher of language, musician and water-colour artist. She was followed in 1887 by their son Sir Charles Welby, 5th Baronet, MP for Newark and Under-Secretary of State for War.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.