Denton is a village in the Borough of Darlington and the ceremonial county of County Durham, England. The population of Denton taken at the 2011 Census was less than 100. Details are maintained in the parish of Gainford. Denton is situated a short distance to the northwest of Darlington between Walworth to the east and Summerhouse to the west. Houghton le Side lies to the north and Piercebridge to the south.
The village is home to approximately 18 houses, new and old, all surrounding Denton Hall Farm and contained within the vast Raby Estate. Denton Hall Farm is a mixed farm of arable and livestock. Horse racing / training is a large part of village life.
Denton was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Gainford in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Darlington Rural Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Borough of Darlington non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Denton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: