Dent is a village and civil parish located since 1974 in Cumbria, England. It lies in Dentdale, a narrow valley on the western slopes of the Pennines within the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It is about 4 miles (6 km) south east of Sedbergh and about 8 miles (13 km) north east of Kirby Lonsdale.
Both place name and dialect evidence indicate that this area was settled by the Norse in the 10th century. Geoffrey Hodgson, in 2008, argued that this invasion accounts for the high frequency of the Hodgson surname in the area.
Dent was the birthplace of the geologist Adam Sedgwick in 1785.
Dentdale was one of the last Yorkshire Dales to be enclosed, Dent's Enclosure Award being made in 1859.
Whilst fishing on the Dee at Dentdale in the 1840s, William Armstrong, 1st Baron Armstrong saw a waterwheel in action, supplying power to a marble quarry. It struck Armstrong that much of the available power was being wasted and it inspired him to design a successful hydraulic engine which began the accumulation of his wealth and industrial empire.