Place:Denbigh, Denbighshire, Wales

Watchers


NameDenbigh
Alt namesDinbychsource: Wikipedia
TypeCounty town
Coordinates53.183°N 3.417°W
Located inDenbighshire, Wales
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Denbigh is a market town and community in Denbighshire, Wales. Before 1888, it was the county town of Denbighshire. Denbigh lies 8 miles to the north west of Ruthin and to the south of St Asaph. It is about 13 miles (20 km) from the seaside resort of Rhyl. The town grew around the glove-making industry. Its population at the 2001 Census was 8,783.

The first borough charter was granted to Denbigh in 1290, when the town was still contained within the old town walls. It was the centre of the Marcher Lordship of Denbigh. The town was involved in the revolt of Madog ap Llywelyn in 1294-95; the castle was captured in the autumn, and on 11 November 1294 a relieving force was defeated by the Welsh rebels. The town was recaptured by Edward I in December. Denbigh was also burnt in 1400 during the revolt of Owain Glyndŵr.

During the Wars of the Roses, the town was largely destroyed, subsequently moving from the hilltop to the area of the present town market. In 1643, Denbigh became a refuge for a Royalist garrison during the English Civil War. Surrendering in 1646, the castle and town walls eventually fell into ruin.

Notable buildings in Denbigh include Denbigh Castle, the town walls begun in 1282 including the Burgess Gate and Leicester's Church. This is an unfinished church begun in 1579 by Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, who was also Baron of Denbigh. It was planned as a cathedral with the title of city to be transferred from neighbouring St. Asaph. The project ran out of money and the grounds now lie derelict.

Other attractions in the town include a library and museum. Denbigh Boxing Club is located on Middle Lane.

Denbigh was once served by a railway station on the former London and North Western Railway, later part of the LMS. The "Vale of Clwyd" line leading north to St. Asaph and Rhyl closed in 1955, leaving Denbigh on a lengthy branch running from Chester via Mold and Denbigh to Ruthin, which closed in 1962. A southern continuation beyond Ruthin linking up with the Great Western Railway at Corwen had closed in 1952. The platform of Denbigh station can still be seen beside the road leading to the Kwik Save store.

Denbigh hosted the National Eisteddfod of Wales in 1882, 1939, 2001 and 2013.

At one time the majority of the population sought employment at the North Wales Hospital, which cared for people with psychiatric illnesses. The hospital closed in the late 1990s.

Denbigh Cricket Club is one of the oldest cricket clubs in Wales having been established in 1844. The club plays at the Ystrad Road ground and plays in the North Wales Cricket League. The 1st XI play in the Premier Division having won the Division 1 championship in 2010 with the 2nd XI in Division 3.

For over 50 years, a barrel rolling competition is held on Boxing Day in the town square.

Just outside Denbigh to the north west, adjoining Denbigh Golf Club and the Tarmac Quarry, is the historic and ancient deciduous woodland of Crêst. This woodland is endangered due to environmental pressure and competing land use in the area.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Denbigh. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.