|Alt names||Birch Hill||source: hamlet in parish|
|Boothsdale||source: hamlet in parish|
|Castle Hill||source: hamlet in parish|
|Organsdale||source: hamlet in parish|
|Primrose Hill||source: hamlet in parish|
|Roughlow||source: hamlet in parish|
|Seven Lows||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Eddisbury Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Delamere is a village and civil parish in Cheshire. It is situated approximately 7 miles to the west of Northwich, within the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester. The population of the civil parish taken at the 2011 census was 1,025. The name of the village comes from the French de la mere "of the lake".
The civil parish is well known for the Delamere Forest, an expanse of oak, pine and sycamore trees which forms the largest woodland in Cheshire. It includes the hills of Old Pale and Eddisbury Hill, part of the Mid Cheshire Ridge.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Delamere was a township in Delamere ancient parish in Eddisbury Hundred—created in 1812 out of the previously extra-parochial area of Delamere Forest—which became a civil parish in 1866.
It included the hamlets of Birch Hill, Boothsdale, Castle Hill, Kelsall Hill (part), Organsdale, Primrose Hill, Roughlow (part), Seven Lows and Willington Corner (part). The population was 498 in 1851, 612 in 1901, 1170 in 1951, and 1028 in 2001. In 2015 the civil parish was abolished. (Source: GENUKI)
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.