Carroll County township histories by John C. Odell 1916
Deer Creek township was organized in May, 1828, by the board of county commissioners, and an election was ordered to be held on June 7, 1828. Delphi, the county seat, is situated in this township. At the time of the organization of this township, there were about two hundred people in the township. The chief civil business transacted was the laying out of roads. The Wabash and Erie canal ran through this township, upon which canal there were a number of warehouses established. Delphi was incorporated pursuant to a charter of the Legislature of 1837-1838. In May, 1838, William Crooks as elected the first mayor. The early schools were taught in log school houses. The first public school building erected in Delphi was used for all purposes. The courts were held in it until the first court house was built. After the new Constitution went into effect, in 1832, the free school system, which has been in operation ever since, made provision for better schoolhouses, and provided for a tax for school purposes and in 1848 it was a brick, two-story house. A Methodist Society was organized in 1826. The Presbyterian church was organized in 1828.