Deeping St. Nicholas, near Spalding in Lincolnshire, England is a village on the A16 road between The Deepings (Market Deeping and Deeping St. James) and Spalding. Unlike Market Deeping, which is in South Kesteven District, Deeping St. Nicholas is in South Holland.
Deeping St. Nicholas is also a South Holland civil parish which includes the small settlements of Tongue End and Hop Pole, and a number of outlying farms. It had a total population of 1,323 at the 2001 UK census, increasing at the 2011 UK census to 1,961. Prior to 1856 when it was established as a civil parish, it was an extra-parochial area known as Deeping End. In 1932 its size was expanded by gaining a large rural area from Spalding.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Deeping St. Nicholas from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
The Church of St Nicholas was built in 1846, when a new parish was formed to supersede the former chapel of ease of Spalding. The church was built by Charles Kirk, an architect from Sleaford, in Decorated style common in older surrounding churches. The Parish is again managed from St John's, Spalding, restoring the medieval situation. The village name Deeping St Nicholas appears to date from this same time.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.