Place:Wilmslow, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameWilmslow
Alt namesCarrwoodsource: hamlet in parish
Colshawsource: hamlet in parish
Davenport Greensource: hamlet in parish
Dean Rowsource: hamlet in parish
Finney Greensource: hamlet in parish
Fulshaw Parksource: hamlet in parish
Harden Parksource: hamlet in parish
Hilltop in Wilmslowsource: hamlet in parish
Hollinlanesource: hamlet in parish
Houghsource: hamlet in parish
Lacey Greensource: hamlet in parish
Morleysource: hamlet in parish
Oversleysource: hamlet in parish
Shady Grovesource: hamlet in parish
Stanneylandsource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish, Town, Urban district
Coordinates53.333°N 2.25°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoMacclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


GENUKI provides the following information

Wilmslow was originally a township in the ancient parish of the same name in Macclesfield Hundred.

In 1894 Wilmslow was created as a civil parish and an Urban District from parts of the parishes of Bollin Fee, Fulshaw and Pownall Fee. The town had a total population of more than 7,000 by the census of 1901.

In 1936 it gained further areas from the parishes of Cheadle and Gatley, Chorley (near Wilmslow), Handforth and Styal, but lost a small area to Alderley Edge.

In 1974 it became an unparished area in the Macclesfield District or Borough and has continued to be an unparished area in the unitary authority of Cheshire East which was formed in 2009.

It includes the hamlets of Carrwood, Colshaw, Davenport Green, Dean Row, Finney Green, Fulshaw Park, Harden Park, Hilltop, Hollinlane, Hough, Lacey Green, Morley, Oversley, Shady Grove and Stanneyland

The population was 10,536 in 1951, and 30,326 in 2001.

Wikipedia has an article on Wilmslow.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.