DeRuyter is a town in Madison County, New York, United States. The population was 1,589 at the 2010 census. The town is named after Michiel Adriaenszoon De Ruyter a famous admiral in the Dutch navy. The name de Ruyter (de Ruĳter) means "the Rider".
DeRuyter was one of five towns formed before Madison County was created. It was established by a partition of the Town of Cazenovia in 1798. DeRuyter is in the southwest corner of the county. The town is part of a region called "The Gore," a territory created by a surveying error.
Previous to 1795, DeRuyter was included in the town of Whitestown and was part of the "Lincklaen Purchase". "Tromp Township" was the original name given by Jan Lincklaen, a Holland Land Agent in honor of a fellow countryman, Admiral Maarten Tromp. The new town of DeRuyter was formed on March 15, 1798. Jan Lincklaen once again named it in honor of a fellow countryman, Admiral Michiel DeRuyter.
The Village of DeRuyter was incorporated in 1833.
Sig Sautelle's Circus wintered and trained in DeRuyter from 1896 to the early 1900s.