The town of Dannemora contains a village also called Dannemora, the south part of which is located in the town of Saranac. Both village and town are on the west border of Clinton County, west of Plattsburgh.
The area was first settled around 1838. A prison was opened in 1845 in order to use the prisoners in local mining operations. The town of Dannemora was formed in 1854 from the town of Beekmantown.