|Type||Township, Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Newburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Stamfordham, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was merged in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dalton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DALTON, a township in Newburn parish, Northumberland; on the river Pont, 10 miles NW of Newcastle-on-Tyne. It has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres: 1,035. Population: 114. Houses: 22. The township forms a curacy with Newburn; and has a church, called Holy Trinity.
Dalton was a township in the ancient parish of Newburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the newly re-formed parish of Stamfordham.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Dalton, Northumberland, England | Newburn, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | Stamfordham, Northumberland, England