Place:Dalmeny, West Lothian, Scotland

Alt namesQueensferrysource: combined parish
Coordinates55.9792°N 3.3701°W
Located inWest Lothian, Scotland     (1628 - 1975)
See alsoLothian, Scotlandregional administration 1975-1996
City of Edinburgh, Scotlandunitary Council Area since 1996
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
image:West Lothian3.jpg

Dalmeny, sometimes called Queensferry (particularly the western section) was a coastal parish located in the former Scottish county of West Lothian, which disappeared following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974. Today it is most important as the southern end of both the Forth Railway Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge which link Edinburgh and the rest of southern Scotland with Fife and the other council areas to the north.

The parish had an area of 23.8 sq. km (9.2 sq. miles) and its neighbouring parishes were Abercorn and Kirkliston in West Lothian and Edinburgh in Midlothian. There were significant changes to the boundaries of this parish follwing the Local Government (Scotland) Acts 1889 and 1894.

Dalmeny was absorbed into the City of Edinburgh in 1975 and since 1996 has been part of the City of Edinburgh Council Area.


Research Tips

Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses

  • Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.

Notes for West Lothian

  • The Scottish Genealogy Society has published a comprehensive volume of Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in West Lothian, compiled by John F Mitchell and Sheila Mitchell.
  • FreeCen has an index of 1841 census records including the whole of West Lothian. The Genealogical Society of Utah sponsored the collection of 1881 census records and these will be found at FamilySearch
  • The Dalmeny Parish Registers for the Church of Scotland provide information on baptisms (1679-1854), marriages (1628-1630 and 1679-1854) and deaths (1679-1685, 1754-1794, 1814-1829 and 1851-1853). See the FamilySearch Wiki article on Dalmeny for other church denominations.

Further Sources of Reference

Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.

  • Scottish Places article on the parish of Dalmeny. The tabs of the right provide more information, and comparitive maps. The village of Dalmeny has a separate article covering more of the historical background of this area.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki article on Dalmeny provides direct reference to FamilySearch holdings on many topics with respect to the parish.
  • The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
  • The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
  • Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.