|Alt names||Deepdale||source: former name for parish|
|Depedale||source: former name for parish|
|Dale||source: settlement in parish|
|Dale Moor||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Derbyshire, England|
|See also||Morleston and Litchurch Hundred, Derbyshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Shardlow Rural, Derbyshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1959|
|South East Derbyshire Rural, Derbyshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1959-1974|
|Erewash District, Derbyshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Dale Abbey is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Erewash in Derbyshire, England, 6 miles northeast of the county town of Derby. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 UK census was 1,351. Formerly known as Depedale or Deepdale, the village contains the remains of an abbey founded in the 12th or 13th century.
The northwest corner of the village is separately named as Dale, while the northeast corner is separately named as Dale Moor.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Dale Abbey.
Dale Abbey was originally an ancient parish in the Morleston and Litchurch Hundred of Derbyshire, England. Dale Abbey had no subsidiary townships or chapelries.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of Shardlow Rural District and in 1959, on the demise of Shardlow Rural District, was transferred to South East Derbyshire Rural District Since 1974 it has been in the non-metropolitan Borough of Erewash.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dale Abbey from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DALE ABBEY, an extra-parochial chapelry in Shardlow [registration] district, Derbyshire; 3½ miles N of Borrowash [railway] station, and 5½ NE by E of Derby. Post town: West Hallam, under Derby. Acres: 1,530. Real property: £2,393. Population: 366. Houses: 86.
- "A priory of black canons was founded at Deepdale here, by Serlo de Grendon, in the time of Henry II.; and was succeeded by a Premonstratensian abbey in 1204. The buildings were grand and extensive; but only an ivy-clad arch of the church and some parts which were converted into dwellings and barns, now remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is an edifice older than the abbey, and at a short distance from the ruins. There is a Wesleyan chapel."
- British History Online (Victoria County Histories) does not appear to cover Derbyshire geographically. A History of the County of Derby: Volume 2, edited by William Page is a part-volume covering the religious houses of the county. No further volumes have been found.
- GENUKI main page for Derbyshire which provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Derbyshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- These two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: Derbyshire, England | Dale Abbey, Derbyshire, England | Morleston and Litchurch Hundred, Derbyshire, England | Shardlow Rural, Derbyshire, England | South East Derbyshire Rural, Derbyshire, England | Erewash District, Derbyshire, England