- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also a Cumberworth in East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire.
Cumberworth is a village in the civil parish of Denby, formerly in the West Riding of Yorkshire, now within the district municipality of Kirklees, West Yorkshire.
It was part of the urban district of Denby and Cumberworth from 1894 until 1938 and the urban district of Denby Dale from 1938 until 1974.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cumberworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CUMBERWORTH, a township-chapelry in Silkstone and High Hoyland parishes, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, near Denby-Dale [railway] station, and 8 miles SE of Huddersfield. It includes parts of the hamlets of Skelmanthorpe and Scissett; the former of which has a post office under Huddersfield. Acres, 930. Real property: £4, 856. Population: 2, 414. Houses: 473. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are makers of fancy goods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value: £148. Patron: W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church is Norman. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a [Primitive] Methodist chapel, a Free Methodist chapel, and a national school."