Cullercoats is an urban area of northeast England. In 1974 it was absorbed into the North Tyneside conurbation of Tyne and Wear, sitting between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay. The population of this North Tyneside ward at the 2011 UK census was 9,202.
The name is thought to derive from "Dove" (or "Culver") "Cotes".
Cullercoats village was founded in 1539. Historically the village depended on fishing; there was also local coal mining in so-called bell pits. The coal was used to fire salt pans (now long gone) on the field now known as the boat field. As a port, Cullercoats was used to export both salt and coal. A new harbour and pier were constructed in 1682 and a waggonway which brought coal to the village from inland workings was added in 1690. These innovations resulted in a flourishing trade. However, the salt industry declined and the growth of the railways led to coal shipments being relocated to better harbours. By 1710 the pier had been severely damaged and the waggonway's condition had deteriorated. The last salt pans moved to Blyth in 1726. This left fishing as the main industry and two piers were built on either side of the harbour in the 19th century to provide shelter for the many open top fishing vessels, or cobles, launched from the harbour.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Cullercoats.
Cullercoats was a township in the ancient borough of Tynemouth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1908 the civil parish was abolished and the area was completely absorbed into Tynemouth.