North Ronaldsay is the northernmost of the islands of Orkney and, with an area of , is the fourteenth largest. Mentioned in the Orkneyinga saga, in modern times it is known for its historic lighthouse, migratory bird life and unusual breed of sheep.
The island was listed as part of the parish of Stronsay in 1615, although it was later part of the United parish of Place:Cross and Burness, Orkney, Scotland, which were two of the three original parishes of Sanday Island. In 1831 North Ronaldshay was created a "quod sacra" parish in its own right. 
The island is divided into six "townships". North of the Matches Dyke are Ancumstoun and East North Yard; between Matches Dyke and the Muckle Gersty is Linklet and south of the Muckle Gersty are Bustatoun, Hollandstoun and Nesstoun.