|Alt names||Rincvede||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 125|
|Bisterne||source: hamlet in parish|
|Crow||source: hamlet in parish|
|Crow Hill||source: variation of Crow|
|Crow Hill Top||source: variation of Crow|
|Hangersley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hightown||source: hamlet in parish|
|Kingston (New Forest)||source: hamlet in parish|
|Poulner||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Ringwood Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located at an early date|
|New Forest Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located later|
|Ringwood Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Ringwood and Fordingbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|New Forest District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ringwood is an historic market town and civil parish in the New Forest District of Hampshire, located on the River Avon, close to the New Forest and northeast of Bournemouth. It has a history dating back to Anglo-Saxon times, and has held a weekly market since the Middle Ages.
The town is situated in the extreme southwest of Hampshire, on the border with Dorset. The 21st century population is almost 14,000.
The parish includes the hamlets of Poulner, Hangersley, Hightown, Crow (or Crow Hill, or Crow Hill Top), Kingston (New Forest), and Bisterne.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ringwood.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Ringwood.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Ringwood, Hampshire, England | Ringwood Hundred, Hampshire, England | Ringwood Rural, Hampshire, England | Ringwood and Fordingbridge, Hampshire, England | New Forest Hundred, Hampshire, England