|Type||Township, Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Chester Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Chester St. Oswald, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part until 1866|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Croughton is a hamlet and civil parish on the outskirts and 3.5 miles (5.7 km) north of the city of Chester, and part of the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county Cheshire. The Shropshire Union canal runs through Croughton.
Croughton is a settlement in St. Oswald's ancient parish, which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 33 in 1801 and 22 in 1851, these dates being the earliest in the census for the United Kingdom.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Rural, Cheshire, England | Chester St. Oswald, Cheshire, England | Croughton, Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!