|Name||Croft on Tees|
|Alt names||Croft-on-Tees||source: spelling variant|
|Croft Spa||source: alternate placename|
|Western (near Croft on Tees)||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Gilling East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Croft Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which Croft on Tees was located|
|Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
Try to avoid using "Croft" as the placename instead of "Croft on Tees". Croft on its own links up to Croft Rural District, a wider administrative area.
Croft on Tees was originally an ancient parish in Gilling East Wapentake in the North Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Croft on Tees and its townships of Dalton upon Tees and Stapleton (near Darlington) became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Croft Rural District of the North Riding. Since 1974 Croft on Tees has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Richmondshire District.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Croft on Tees is a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. It has also been known as Croft Spa, and from which the former Croft Spa railway station took its name. It lies north-northwest of the county town of Northallerton.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Croft-on-Tees.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, England | Croft Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Gilling East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Croft on Tees, North Riding of Yorkshire, England