- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ramsden Crays (#20 on the map) has been since 1974 a civil parish in the Basildon District of Essex, England. The parish includes the village of Crays Hill.
In 1934 Ramsden Crays ceased to be a civil parish. Its area was split between South Hanningfield civil parish in Chelmsford Rural District and Great Burstead civil parish in Billericay Urban District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ramsden Crays from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RAMSDEN-CRAYS, a parish in Billericay [registration] district, Essex; on the river Crouch, 2 miles E S E of Billericay, and 4½ N N W of Pitsea [railway] station. Post-town, Billericay. Acres: 1,453. Real property: £2,307. Population: 262. Houses: 44. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with the Ashes, belongs to F. M. B. Batard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £370. Patron: F. Francis, Esq. The church is very old."
Categories: Essex, England | Ramsden Crays, Essex, England | Great Burstead, Essex, England | Billericay Rural, Essex, England | South Hanningfield, Essex, England | Chelmsford Rural, Essex, England | Basildon (district), Essex, England