Place:Ramsden Crays, Essex, England

Watchers
NameRamsden Crays
Alt namesRamsden-Crayssource: Family History Library Catalog
Crays Hillsource: Wikipedia
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.599°N 0.475°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBillericay Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1934
Billericay, Essex, Englandurban district which absorbed part of the parish in 1934
Chelmsford Rural, Essex, Englandrural district which absorbed part of the parish in 1934
Basildon (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the Billericay part of the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ramsden Crays (#20 on the map) has been since 1974 a civil parish in the Basildon District of Essex, England. The parish includes the village of Crays Hill.

In 1934 Ramsden Crays ceased to be a civil parish. Its area was split between South Hanningfield civil parish in Chelmsford Rural District and Great Burstead civil parish in Billericay Urban District.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ramsden Crays from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"RAMSDEN-CRAYS, a parish in Billericay [registration] district, Essex; on the river Crouch, 2 miles E S E of Billericay, and 4½ N N W of Pitsea [railway] station. Post-town, Billericay. Acres: 1,453. Real property: £2,307. Population: 262. Houses: 44. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with the Ashes, belongs to F. M. B. Batard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £370. Patron: F. Francis, Esq. The church is very old."

Research Tips