Place:Cranford, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameCranford
Alt namesCranford St. Andrewsource: former ecclesiastical parish
Cranford Saint Andrewsource: spelling variant
Cranford St. Johnsource: spelling variant
Cranford-St. Johnsource: former settlement in parish
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.384°N 0.6425°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoKettering Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Kettering District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


Cranford is a civil parish in in the Kettering District in Northamptonshire, England. It is made up of the two settlements of Cranford St. Andrew and Cranford St. John, both of which were civil parishes prior to 1935. At the time of the 2001 UK census, the parish population was 414 people.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cranford St. Andrew and Cranford St. John from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CRANFORD-ST. ANDREW and CRANFORD-ST. JOHN, two parishes in Kettering [registration] district, Northampton; on the Kettering and Huntingdon railway, 4 miles-ESE of Kettering. They have a post office, of the name of Cranford, under Kettering, and a [railway] station. Acres: 2,420. Real property: £3,472. Population: 553. Houses: 113. The property is not much divided. Cranford Hall is the seat of Sir G. Robinson, Bart. The livings are rectories, united to each other, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £348. Patron: Sir G. Robinson, Bart. The churches are good.

Charities, £6."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Cranford, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.