Extracts pertaining to local and historical information are taken from a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis published in 1837.
CRANFIELD, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TOOME, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (S. W. by S.) from Randalstown; containing 386 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Randalstown to Toome, and on the western shore of Lough Neagh, of which, according to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 2691 1/2 statute acres, besides 834 1/2 acres of land in a good state of cultivation, agriculture having greatly improved; there is neither bog nor waste land: the spinning and weaving of linen cloth is carried on. It is within the jurisdiction of the manorial court of Mullaghgane, held every month at Toome. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Down and Connor, partly impropriate in William Cranstone, Esq., of Belfast, and partly episcopally united, from time immemorial, to the vicarage of Duneane, to the church of which the Protestant inhabitants of this parish resort. The tithes amount to £35. 11. 11. The ancient parish church is now a noble pile of ruins, situated on the verge of Cranfield Point, overlooking Lough Neagh. Near them is a celebrated well, to which the peasantry resort in great numbers on June 26th, 27th, and 28th, and booths are erected for their accommodation; they perform "stations", round the ruins of the church, and drink and wash in the waters of the well, which is supposed to have been endued with healing properties by St. Olcan, who is traditionally recorded to have been buried here in earth brought from Rome; and in which are found beautiful yellow crystals, very scarce and held in high estimation. A curiously carved cross of wood, marking the limit of what is considered holy ground, stands a mile from the well.