Coxsackie is a village in Greene County, New York, USA. The population was 2,813 at the 2010 census. The village name is a native word mak-kachs-hack-ing, and when purchased by the Dutch settlers was written as Koxhackung. It is generally translated as "Hoot-owl place" or "place of many owls".
The Village of Coxsackie is in the eastern part of the Town of Coxsackie.
The original plot of land was sold by American Indians to Pieter Bronck in 1661 for 150 guilders in Beaver pelts.
The lower part of the village was once called "Reeds Landing." In the late 19th century, this area contained several factories and a steam boat landing, now replaced by a waterfront park.
The remains of the steam freighter Storm King still rest here, in the river just north of the park, where she sank at her moorings in the 1930s. She is still visible except at the highest tide or during flooding.
Near this area in the early 20th century was a popular sandy beach that drew thousands of visitors on summer weekends. The beach eroded away after channelization of the Hudson during the 1930s, when deep water navigation was extended up to Albany NY.
A ferry service connected the village to "Newtons Hook" across the river in Columbia County until 1928.
In 1947, the Coxsackievirus was isolated from an outbreak in upstate New York, and was named after the location where the outbreak first began, Coxsackie, NY.