Place:Coupland, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameCoupland
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.575°N 2.101°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoKirknewton, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Glendale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Glendale Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Ewart, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1955
Kirknewton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Coupland is a village in Northumberland, England. It is on the north bank of the River Glen about 4 miles (6 km) to the northwest of Wooler.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coupland from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: COPELAND-CASTLE, an old seat in the north of Northumberland; on the river Glen, 4¼ miles NW of Wooler. It succeeded an older seat, which belonged to John de Copeland who took David II [of Scotland] prisoner; and it was built, in 1614, by the Wallaces; and passed to the Ogles."

Coupland was a township in the ancient parish of Kirknewton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parishes of Ewart and Kirknewton.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Coupland, Northumberland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.