Countesthorpe is a large village and civil parish in the Leicestershire district of Blaby, with a population of 6,393 (2001 census). It lies to the south of Leicester, and is about six miles from the city centre, but only two miles south of the suburb of South Wigston. Nearby places are Blaby and South Wigston to the north, Kilby to the east, Peatling Magna and Willoughby Waterleys to the south, and Broughton Astley, Cosby and Whetstone to the west. According to the 1066 census it had a population of 6.
The name Countesthorpe originates from the 11th century when the area was part of the marriage dowry of the Countess Judith niece of William the Conqueror. The 'thorpe' part of the name is a variant of the Middle English word thorp, meaning hamlet or small village.
The parish church of St. Andrew was started in 1220 by the family of Lord William of Ludbrook. It was restored in 1840 and again in 1907. The 14th century tower still remains.
The village has four public houses:
It also has an award winning Indian Restaurant "Dine India", which was mentioned in the national press by patrons Kasabian.
The village is twinned with the town of Mennecy in France.